The collection Centre de documentation en sciences sociales (CDSS) contains almost 16,000 books and 365 periodicals in the fields of anthropology, history and sociology. Anyone is able to consult books on site. Taking books out on loan is reserved for EHESS students and researchers. The catalogue is available online: http://alexandrie.vcharite.univ-mrs.fr
Since 1986, the documentary archive has been developed to reflect the research and teaching activities at the Vieille Charité in Marseille. It reflects the specialities of the different research units that compose or have composed the EHESS site at Marseille: GREQAM (quantitative economics), IMAF (African studies), CREDO (Pacific studies) and the Centre Norbert Elias (formerly SHADYC; anthropology, history, sociology). The CDSS is now managed by the Centre Norbert Elias and is supported by the EHESS and the CNRS.
The collection is particularly rich in the following areas:
– cultural forms and models, sociology of culture and communication;
– sexual dimension of social life, sociology of the family, gender, sexuality;
– social sciences and life sciences: knowledge and techniques;
– modern and contemporary history, history of science and health, colonial history, historiography;
– general sociology, urban sociology, sociology of religions;
– epistemology of the social sciences;
– comparative study of political spaces and objects;
– general anthropology, anthropology of Africa, anthropology and sociology, anthropology of development and of health.
– a collection of 3,000 books and journals is held by the Aix-Marseille University Documentation Service and is referenced in the catalogue.
Recently, in connection with the site-project La Fabrique des écritures and teachings on writing and image, the Documentation Centre has enriched its collection with multimedia documents, films and comic strips in particular.
Centre de documentation en sciences sociales
La Vieille Charité, 1st floor
2, rue de la Charité, 13002 Marseille, France
Monday-Friday 10:00 AM-6:00 PM